1) Just because French is an official language that they all learn at school, doesn’t mean the locals are happy to hear it! If you can’t speak German, try English next
2) The Swiss are different from the Germans and Austrians. And that is the only thing they want to hear you say. Never group the three into a single statement!
3) Don’t be fooled into thinking that just because Switzerland is a rich country, that all accommodation is 1st world standard. Take no basic service for granted!
4) Swiss don’t seem to cook at home. So prepare for a small, inconvenient kitchen even in the largest of flats.
5) “Switzerland has high quality education” does not equal “all Swiss schools are good”.
6) Most Swiss people use public transport, not because it is so good (which it is), but because owning a car is so bloody expensive and inconvenient!
7) Figure out how to shop over the border in Austria. For everything. Its all a lot cheaper.
8) Don’t expect to ever be invited round to a Swiss person’s house. Be happy when it happens, but prepare for it never happening.
9) Working from 9-6 is unSwiss. 8am is already late in the office.
10) Plan your life around the shops opening times. You’ll save much stress…